Monday, April 27, 2015

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb Review

Being a flight attendant keeps me on the road for at least half of the month.  During the summer months, even more.  I cherish the nights that I get to spend at home with my family and friends.  Tonight was no exception.  I spent most of the day on the couch trying to recover from a migraine.  When my mom got off work I went and picked up hibachi for dinner and Night at the Museum for us to watch.  To say she was excited would be an understatement.  

I have always enjoyed most of Ben Stiller's movies and the Night at the Museum movies are no exception.  I did however find Secret of the Tomb was not as entertaining or as funny as the previous movies.  Do not get me wrong there were plenty of laughable moments and heart wrenching ones to go along with it.  How can you not be heart broken when watching Robin Williams and Mickey Rooney perform in their last cinematic feature?   



The movie centers around the Tablet of Ahkmenrah and its lose of magical powers, which prompts a journey for Lawrence "Larry" Daley (Ben Stiller) to take the tablet and Ahkmenrah to the British museum where Ahkmenrah's parents are on display.  They hope to gain the knowledge of the tablet in order to preserve "life after dark" at the Museum of Natural History in New York.  

Without giving too much information away and spoiling the movie for those of you who have not seen it.  Nick Daley (Larry's son) has grown into a young adult who is about to embark on life after high school.  The movie goes through the struggles of Larry learning to let go because Nick is becoming an adult and reuniting Ahkmenrah with his parents helps to reinforce the Daley's relationship.

Ricky Gervais is funny and endearing.  Rebel Wilson can only be described as the one and only Rebel Wilson and the cameo with Hugh Jackman as King Arthur was a brilliant surprise, especially when he impersonates wolverine.
 
Overall, I would rate Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb a 2 out of 5 stars. 

I will leave you with this line from Robin Williams character Teddy Roosevelt when he is talking to Larry at the end of the movie.  Larry says, "I have no idea what I am going to do tomorrow." Teddy responds, "How exciting!"  Here is to wishing Robin Williams and his family the best because even though Robin has been gone for a time, the family is still left to grieve.  Here is to tomorrow.

Also, I should note that Mickey Rooney's career spanned over nine decades.  Rooney was the victim of elder abuse, which led to medical debts as well as other financial infractions.  CMG represented Mickey in his last years and has set up a way to donate money to help assist with the financial burdens of his estate.  If you feel compelled to help out you can donate at www.mickeyrooney.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment